Saturday 21 January 2012

2012 Season Preview - Sauber

 

Sauber F1 team go into the new season on the back of a mixed 2011. They had highs with points finishes for both drivers in Australia, then they were stripped of their points. They had the Monaco crash with Sergio Perez. Then they had a good run in, with a great race by Kamui Kobayashi in Canada, running in the top 3 for a while until the mighty impresive Jenson Button powered through.

In 2012 they will be racing with the same two drivers again in Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi. Stability is always a good thing in my opinion, I have already said this in my Caterham preview. Koayashi is a great driver and given a top car he will be racing at the front. We have seen him battle with the top order on a few occassions and his 'no fear' approach makes him a candidate for a top drive one day. It also makes him great to watch. Then there is Sergio Perez, who did well in his debut season, he had a great race in Australia, only pitting once for new tyres. What made this impressive was that he is a rookie and they were brand new tyres, being Pirelli's first season.

So what is in store for Sauber this season? I'm thinking that they may well have a tough season this year. They may struggle and I'm predicting that they will be fighting for 9th and 10th place in the constructers championship with Caterham. Unfortunately for Sauber, I think they may loose this battle. It's a shame they haven't got the backing of a major car company like they had with BMW, this would mean an injection of money and some expertise. 

So, finally, what do I think will be the outcome of the season for Caterham?

2011 Position - 7th
2012 Predicted Position - 10th

Conclusion - Seventh place was a great position for a team running as independant. 2012 may well be different though as Toro Rosso, Williams and Force India will all improve this season. With my prediction of a vast improvement for Caterham it looks ominous for Sauber. They may well prove me wrong and I kind of hope so because I have a soft spot for Sauber. A team run and owned by the legend that is Peter Sauber deserves some success. Peter bought the team when BMW left and saved them from extinction. So there it is, I predict a backward step for Sauber, but on this occassion I really hope I am proved wrong. Go on Sauber, show me that I have made a huge error in my predictions.......Please

No comments:

Post a Comment