Sunday 5 February 2012

The Cars So Far - What Do I Think?

So far Caterham, McLaren, Ferrari, Force India and Lotus have revealed their F1 cars for 2012. They have all come up with different ideas about the new regulations for the nose. In this article I will look at each one and talk about my thoughts. Who do I think has got it right? And how will that make the season unfold?

Ferrari

Ferrari have got an extreme step on the nose of their car. Fernando Alonso told Autosport magazine that he is glad Ferrarri went radical. He believes it still can be classed as a beautiful car. Ferrari also expect to win from day one. In my view this car is probably one of the worst ones we've seen so far. The step is too extreme, I can't understand why their wind tunnel gave them good enough figures. Surely the high step will affect the aerodynamics of the car. I'm no expert in aerodynamics, it's just that logically it doesn't look like it'll work. It remains to be seen.

I'm sorry Ferrari, I do like you, honest, I just have to give my opinion, now let's see you prove me wrong.

McLaren

The only car so far with no step, a car that looks like last seasons but with a lower nose. This actually seems like the most sensible idea, but is it going to be proved to be the right idea. Views from the pundits seem to be varied, with some saying its a beautiful car that's packaged well and will be a winner. Some are saying its just not different enough and isn't the right way round these new regulations.

I personally think it looks brilliant. There is no ugly step, it looks like an F1 car should. It's well packaged, just as a lot of pundits have said. The rear of the car impresses me most of all, very well designed.

Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton both seem pleased with the car and believe they can win from the word go in it. They would say that though, just as any driver in any team will say the same. Talking must turn into results though.

With all the radical designs to combat the new nose height regulations, you have to conclude that McLaren have been most radical by going for a conventional looking nose.

The only question I have is have they got it right? I guess we will find out on Tuesday at the gfirst test. If Caterham out run McLaren then they have a few weeks of work on in Woking, like never before.

Lotus

Lotus, formally Renault, have only just released their car yesterday.

This car has more of a slope on the nose, rather than the step we have been seeing. It seems to be only a slight step though. They have kind of nearly gone the McLaren route but not quite. They have decided to put what I describe as huge side pods. Is this something they have found will help them? I don't know yet.

Lotus have made it clear that they are aiming at 4th place in the standings this season. That's a bold statement and very brave as they will have to beat Mercedes. I am not sure that they will, I am expecting much better car from Mercedes this season.

Force India

Again another stepped nose, this time we get a very wide nose as the team try to recapture some downforce lost by the blown diffuser ban. Paul Di Resta drove the car round the silverstone track on launch day and said it feels great.

Force India are expecting to beat Lotus as they want to capture 5th place in the championship. Well Lotus think they'll finish 4th. The car has a stepped nose as I have already pointed out, however it is not so extreme as others.

I'm thinking to myself that there may be something in the wider nose. Logic says that when there is a bigger area for the air to flow over, it will push the car down. Interesting that they went this way. You may find that Force India are good in the high speed corners this year. Let's wait and see.

Caterham

The first to reveal their car. They revealed it on the cover and inside the F1 Racing magazine. They were very clever in being first to release a car. They managed to get a lot of publicity due to the different look of F1 cars this season. Well done to them.

In this article and every other I will not be bias in any way, I must tell you now that Heikki Kovalainen is my favourite driver and I support both Caterham and McLaren.

I believe that Caterham have a car that aerodynamically looks the best of the bunch so far, especially out of those with a stepped nose. The way they have created the step makes me see how the air will flow over it without loosing downforce. Does this mean they have done enough to get them into the midfield or much higher (it has been known to happen, teams have come from nowhere and challenged at the front), it's far to early to tell. The time we'll know is when we've seen them all on track, even then we won't know for sure. The real test is when they get to Australia.

I believe they have created a car to get into the midfield, perhaps not towards the front though. It looks a good design. The lads from Norfolk look like they've done a great job in just their third year.

There you go then, my views on the new cars we've seen so far. I'm going to be wrong or right, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment