Thursday 15 March 2012

My Top 3 Drivers of My Time Supporting F1. Website Featured in LocalPaper!

My Top 3 (from left to right) Jenson Button, Mika Hakkinen and Nigel Mansell
Today the Flintshire Leader published an article on this very website. Page 9 for any local readers. During the process of interview, I was asked to name my top 3 drivers since I started following the sport, potentially to be used as a side piece. Unfortunately due to page constraints it wasn't used. So here exclusively for you to chat about and argue about is my write up on my top 3 drivers. A surprise or two but I'm sure some will agree.

The beauty of Formula One is that we all have opinions, we all look at individual things we like about drivers. So here in full is my article on my top three drivers and of course why. Enjoy and discuss amongst yourself. I'm sure I'll get some twitter comments on my choices. You can follow me on twitter at @F1News2012

THE ARTICLE -

It's by no sense of patriotism that two of my top three drivers are British, it's more by my own judgement of skill. Yes, of course, I am there on a Sunday cheering on the three British Drivers on the grid but when it comes to having to choose my three favourites, since I started watching, I can only choose based on my own personal opinion, regardless of nationality. I am actually a relative newcomer when it comes to Formula One, only starting to follow it in the late 1980's, early 1990's. So there will be no talk of Fangio, Moss and the like. Here, based solely on my own opinion, are my three favourite drivers, and we'll start with the most current and in fact up to date.

Jenson Button

To any new Formula One viewers reading this, his drive in Canada last season said it all really. Such a smooth driver on every type of tyre and surface. At times a beautiful craft to watch. He may only have one championship under his belt but, boy did he work for it. In 2009 he was at last given a car to win with, having spent years working with teams further down the grid. His first win came in the wet in Hungary 2006, having started in 14th. His championship came with Brawn GP, the team rescued from Honda, I wouldn't write him off for another just yet. Now with McLaren, he was the first team mate of Lewis Hamilton to get the better of his fellow Brit. 2012 could well be Jenson Button's 2nd championship.

Championships 1 – Grand Prix Wins 12 – Grand Prix Podiums 43

Mika Hakkinen

A driver from Finland who is one of only a handful of drivers to win back to back World Championships, in 1998 and 1999. He raced for McLaren for almost of his F1 career, showing commitment to the team, something I personally like in a driver. He had courage to come back from a near fatal crash during practice during the final round of the 1995 season in Australia. He had suffered a skull fracture, internal bleeding and swallowed his tongue, only a track side tracheotomy saved his life. Yet he only missed one race. He began the 1996 season and not only did the season start in Australia this time, Mika managed to bring his car home 5th. A driver with courage and commitment, a true unsung great.

Championships 2 – Grand Prix Wins 20 – Grand Prix Podiums 51

Nigel Mansell

Another brilliant British F1 driver, this time perhaps the best. Having driven for some of the biggest teams in the sport, Nigel sits proudly as having the fourth most ever Grand Prix wins, an amazing 31. Only Michael Schumacher, Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna have more. He also held the record for the most pole positions in a season until that was taken away by Sebastian Vettel in 2011. Nigel was, if nothing else, persistent, he continue his Formula One career despite forever chasing that elusive championship. He had so much bad luck and with a better wind behind him,may well have been a multiple world champion. He eventually managed it in 1992 with a superb Williams car. He made a fleeting comeback in 1995 which didn't go so well but in all fairness he wasn't given the best equipment to do the job. Are you listening Michael and Kimi?

Championships 1 – Grand Prix Wins 31 – Grand Prix Podiums 59

No comments:

Post a Comment